How to register as a private candidate for O Level? Your guide to registering as an O Level private candidate
This page outlines for you helpful things you should know before you register as a private candidate for GCE O level in Singapore.
8 important things you should know as an O Level private candidate in Singapore
- GCE O Level private candidate registration requirements
- Check for the latest examination syllabuses for GCE O Level
- When can I register as a Private Candidate?
- What are O Level private candidate fees like?
- When will I receive my O Level exam entry proof?
- Where will I sit for my examination?
- What if I missed the private candidate registration period? What do I do?
- When will I receive the GCE O Level examination results?
1) GCE O Level private candidate registration requirements
- You must be at least aged 15 as of January 1st of the year you are sitting for the examination.
- You must not be a school candidate.
- For Science subjects with Practical paper entry requirement:
- If you are registering for a Science subject with a practical paper, you must have sat for the same Science subject previously, OR be currently attending or will be attending a course of instruction in Science practical at any institute/school (like in a private school).
- Your entry for a science subject will only be accepted if you meet the above requirement.
If you fulfill the above private candidate requirements you can register as an O Level private candidate.
2) Check for the latest examination syllabuses for GCE O Level
Before deciding on what O Level subjects to register for as a private candidate, you should check the latest examination syllabuses offered to private candidates at www.seab.gov.sg
Reason #1 – Subject not available to Private Candidates
Some subjects that are offered in government schools are not offered to private candidates. Subjects that you used to take in school, like Design and Technology, Computing, Food and Nutrition, or Art are not offered as subjects for private candidates. You should check against the list of GCE O Level subjects offered for private candidates on www.seab.gov.sg before deciding on which subject to register or study for — just in case it isn’t offered to private candidates.
Reason #2 – Updated or New Syllabus
Secondly, the subject syllabus content may have been changed or updated to a new syllabus code. The content that you are familiar with for the subject might no longer be the same. It is best to download the latest examination syllabuses to be sure.
3) When can I register as a Private Candidate?
Exam registration for GCE O Levels is available in March. The private candidate registration can be made online at www.seab.gov.sg
4) What are O Level private candidate fees like?
Candidates will pay the amount of examination fees according to their citizenship. Singapore Citizens, Singapore Permanent Residents, and International Students pay different rates.
For example, the basic fee structure for Singapore Citizens is $64, Singapore PR is $65, and International Students is $75. Per subject fee ranges from $75 (SC), $100 (PR), and $105 (IS), excluding GST which is applicable to the basic and subject fees.
Your examination fees can be paid online via credit/debit card payment or at any SingPost office or Self-Automated Machines (S.A.M).
5) When will I receive my O Level exam entry proof?
Entry proofs are usually mailed out to you by July for end of year examinations and May for mid year examinations. You will need your entry proof as well as NRIC in order to sit for your O Level examination and enter the examination hall.
6) Where will I sit for my examination?
Your examination entry proof will state the examination centre that you have been allocated to by the Ministry of Education.
7) What if I missed the private candidate registration period? What do I do?
There is usually a late examination registration period available in April. However, a late fee will apply on top of the usual registration fee. You should contact firstname.lastname@example.org in this situation.
8) When will I receive the GCE O Level examination results?
The results of the O Level examination will be released about two months after the entire examination is over in January. The Ministry of Education will usually announce the actual release a few days in advance. The date of release will be reported in the news.
About this Guide
This guide is written by Inspire Education Centre for GCE O Level private candidates who wish to register or take GCE O Levels in Singapore. Inspire Education Centre is an established GCE O Level private candidate school (since 2007) for students who wish to take GCE O Level subjects on a full-time or part-time basis in preparation for the Singapore-Cambridge GCE O Level examinations. Preparatory courses are available for students who wish to retake or sit for GCE O Level examinations. Check out our O Level private candidate course here.